Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Pyrat XO Reserve

Pyrat XO Reserve

I went searching for a new rum the other day and got recommended this little beauty. While I should probably focus on taste first, check out this bad-assery:


Round, thick, jug-styled bottle, with fatty, long cork, yellow and gold ribbons, and a little icon of a fat guy (web research says it's Hoti, the god of bartenders). Make no mistake: this sets the bar well above Bacardi on looks alone.

Opened, Pyrat XO Reserve, like it's appearance, was all class. I enjoyed it on the rocks (well, one large rock thanks to these huge ice cube trays I got), and was immediately was struck by its sweet and spicy aroma. And, I have to say, i was completely won over by the first sip. Sweet, roasted sugar cane, with smoky oak, vanilla and spices (cinnamon?). Left me feeling like i could drink A LOT more.

I'll be honest, I haven't really tasted many high quality rums before, but Pyrat (the medieval word for Pirate, btw) made me feel like i wanna give up my love of whiskey for the summer and explore them, and why not? The taste is amazing and the price is a MUCH better! I'm not hating on whiskey, but when I can get a premium rum for 20 clams, compared to 35-50 for a good whiskey, what's not to like?

Further thoughts:

Pyrat XO Refresher
  • 2 oz Pyrat XO Reserve
  • Tonic
  • Lime Wedge

    Pour over rocks into bucket glass. Garnish with a squeezed lime.
Spiced Pyrat XO

Add cinnamon and nutmeg to taste. Serve over rocks or with coke.

Dark and Stormy
(thanks Hazelwood - this is a personal favorite)
  • 8 Oz Ginger Ale
  • 2 Oz Pyrat XO
  • Lime Wedge

No comments: