Friday, August 8, 2008

why cant we be friends?

Hell in the Pacific
(John Boorman, 1968)

Marooned enemies face off.

Something of a character study. Nearly impossible to like Lee Marvin's character. Low amt of spoken word. WHICH IS SWEET. A bit of compassion shines thru the pre-established enemy-ship. Fairly rad about how little teamwork is needed to survive. It is quite clear that Mifune's character had things under control. Marvin is totally the loud asshole american. Choice scenery. Much in the way of stylization I'd say, but not a turn off. The intent of each moment is clearly shown and appropriately. Dug the colors. Dug the lack of subtitles. Two endings if you get the right DVD. I saw the theatrical release for the US. From what my real tyte homeboi tells me the other ending was released in other markets. Good luck! If you care. I didn't. Still don't.

Recommended

No comments: